Is Twitter not impactful?

Here now: 1 Guest(s)

we often talk about twitter on here as some giant but it's becoming clearer and clearer that twitter and social media to an extent, are just small bubbles of society not even indicative of the greater picture.

a good example is sza vs taylor swift.
sza has been on a viral tweet of some sort MOST of 2017 consistently and people rooting for her and her music.
anything she tweets goes instantly viral
yet her album sales

meanwhile, taylor swift was dragged at all angles 2016 and 2017 consistently. tons of viral tweets bashing her and everyone agreeing with it, only switfies really defending but her album sales

now we know taylor swift is a giant and sza is a new artist but sza isn't even crossing 200k pure with all the hype, viralness, and love, she's gotten all year. what gives? is twitter that deluded from real society?
giggles
2 people like this: Meghan, Rebellious Sissy
Quote:anything she tweets goes instantly viral

Can you provide some examples because I dont remember ever seeing a tweet from her in my LIFE

And to answer your question, twitter has no impact outside of twitter, it never reached the impact highs of Facebook
I am a woman, a mutant, a thief, an X-Man, a lover, a wife, a queen. I am all these things. I am Storm, and for me, there are no such things as limits
(01-12-2018, 05:23 PM)Black Canary Wrote:
Quote:anything she tweets goes instantly viral

Can you provide some examples because I dont remember ever seeing a tweet from her in my LIFE

And to answer your question, twitter has no impact outside of twitter, it never reached the impact highs of Facebook

and tons more right on her page. her tweets go viral way more often than flopping.
Yes, King, come through with proof Clap3

It's an extreme bubble. Facebook of course is much more indicative of public opinion, but Twitter is so far left.

On top of that, because of Twitter's very nature only popular opinion is cultivated, so it creates a group think environment.

It's very interesting because using it you feel like you're participating in something huge, but it's... hugely small? And, for some reason it doesn't feel like the MAU they tout 328 Million a month, is accurate.

Where are these people?

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4652942]
3 people like this: PACMAN, Black Canary, Rebellious Sissy
how do you deal with someone that has a face so perfect that you want to call their momma everyday and thank her for making him :'(
I mean, Twitter killed Iggy Azalea's career Yeshrug

and who tf cares about pure sales in 2018? Camby
1 person likes this: PACMAN
(01-12-2018, 05:26 PM)Maiko Wrote: Yes, King, come through with proof Clap3

It's an extreme bubble. Facebook of course is much more indicative of public opinion, but Twitter is so far left.

On top of that, because of Twitter's very nature only popular opinion is cultivated, so it creates a group think environment.

It's very interesting because using it you feel like you're participating in something huge, but it's... hugely small? And, for some reason it doesn't feel like the MAU they tout 328 Million a month, is accurate.

Where are these people?

facebook is where the locals are, for example: the people who still think being gay is a lifestyle choice. those people have just started coming on to twitter and now you see stuff like that going viral there whereas in 2015/6, stuff like that would not get off the ground.

also, twitter has way more bots than anything else. i don't think it's only a left based echo-chamber. the right and nazi accounts all do the same thing and get what they want trending too. ultimately people follow what directly line up their interests (which isn't a bad thing if you're aware that's what you use them for). when you take everything that you follow and retweet as fact though is where the delusion sets in.
(01-12-2018, 05:30 PM)PACMAN Wrote:

Where are these people?

facebook is where the locals are, for example: the people who still think being gay is a lifestyle choice. those people have just started coming on to twitter and now you see stuff like that going viral there whereas in 2015/6, stuff like that would not get off the ground.

also, twitter has way more bots than anything else. i don't think it's only a left based echo-chamber. the right and nazi accounts all do the same thing and get what they want trending too. ultimately people follow what directly line up their interests (which isn't a bad thing if you're aware that's what you use them for). when you take everything that you follow and retweet as fact though is where the delusion sets in.

Lol, that's most of the world man. I don't think they are Twitter's Demo.

I think Liberal voices rule Twitter, and it's why it's such a non-indicative bubble of the truth.
2 people like this: Black Canary, Rebellious Sissy
how do you deal with someone that has a face so perfect that you want to call their momma everyday and thank her for making him :'(
(01-12-2018, 05:30 PM)PACMAN Wrote:

Where are these people?

On one hand I feel like the recent twitter backlash against locals is HILARIOUS itswhatshedeserves.gif but on the other hand it's kind of unsettling because 'local' viewpoints are much more indicative of the real world OUTSIDE twitter than the stewing far left of stan twitter and veteran twitter users
I am a woman, a mutant, a thief, an X-Man, a lover, a wife, a queen. I am all these things. I am Storm, and for me, there are no such things as limits
(01-12-2018, 05:34 PM)Maiko Wrote: Lol, that's most of the world man. I don't think they are Twitter's Demo.

I think Liberal voices rule Twitter, and it's why it's such a non-indicative bubble of the truth.

yes most of the world is "locals". they're dummy hoes but society wouldn't work if they were more invested. that's a separate topic though.

on the second point, people think twitter is a liberal bubble but in the same breath, tomi lahren gets big viral tweets every day almost spouting complete mess.

also this was on her page

none of this would blow up if twitter was "SO LIBERAL" so get off that talking point. it's weak. as someone who lived on twitter for a long time, stuff like this used to never do numbers. now it's getting bigger and bigger. ethan
(01-12-2018, 05:36 PM)Black Canary Wrote: On one hand I feel like the recent twitter backlash against locals is HILARIOUS itswhatshedeserves.gif but on the other hand it's kind of unsettling because 'local' viewpoints are much more indicative of the real world OUTSIDE twitter than the stewing far left of stan twitter and veteran twitter users

but i would say this is actually the beginning of the end of twitter's "coolness". once locals take over, the social platform becomes trash and boring (see: facebook). when i used twitter now, and i see grandmas laughing at like viral tweets, it irks me. it's as though no platform online is exclusive or fun anymore for those who are in the know. now it's just like a public park with dogs shitting everywhere and no one picking it up.
(01-12-2018, 05:41 PM)PACMAN Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 05:34 PM)Maiko Wrote: Lol, that's most of the world man. I don't think they are Twitter's Demo.

yes most of the world is "locals". they're dummy hoes but society wouldn't work if they were more invested. that's a separate topic though.

on the second point, people think twitter is a liberal bubble but in the same breath, tomi lahren gets big viral tweets every day almost spouting complete mess.
https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/95...9653512192
https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/95...9814490112
https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/95...3352395776

also this was on her page
https://twitter.com/JerryFalwellJr/statu...4235559936

none of this would blow up if twitter was "SO LIBERAL" so get off that talking point. it's weak. as someone who lived on twitter for a long time, stuff like this used to never do numbers. now it's getting bigger and bigger. ethan

It's actually strong and that's poor proof. Tomi is Tomi, and even I retweet stupid shit when it's stupid. but I won't bother. Twitter is overwhelmingly liberal.
(01-12-2018, 05:47 PM)Maiko Wrote: It's actually strong and that's poor proof. Tomi is Tomi, and even I retweet stupid shit when it's stupid. but I won't bother. Twitter is overwhelmingly liberal.

well again, i don't think so anymore. there was a huge shift to me in 2017. before 2017, i would have agreed. things just are shifting. the demographic of twitter is changing. nothing is the same as when twitter was just twitter and there was no "this is black twitter, this is stan twitter, this is gay twitter, this is kpop twitter" etc. it was JUST twitter and everyone was on there making jokes and friends and stuff.

and if you want to get technical, the only reason twitter is liberal leaning at times is that the user-base is mostly young (who skew liberal) and black (which skew liberal too)
(01-12-2018, 05:43 PM)PACMAN Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 05:36 PM)Black Canary Wrote: On one hand I feel like the recent twitter backlash against locals is HILARIOUS itswhatshedeserves.gif but on the other hand it's kind of unsettling because 'local' viewpoints are much more indicative of the real world OUTSIDE twitter than the stewing far left of stan twitter and veteran twitter users

but i would say this is actually the beginning of the end of twitter's "coolness". once locals take over, the social platform becomes trash and boring (see: facebook). when i used twitter now, and i see grandmas laughing at like viral tweets, it irks me. it's as though no platform online is exclusive or fun anymore for those who are in the know. now it's just like a public park with dogs shitting everywhere and no one picking it up.

Lmao local twitter will never take over. It's more like a zoo where the locals are in cages throwing shit at each other and we, the audience are laughing at them fuckingwithyou
1 person likes this: PACMAN