🍹 still enjoying YoungCarter's birthday? join the party

Kotaku Corrects Nicki Minaj

Here now: 1 Guest(s)

Nicki Minaj Seems Confused About Chun Li In Her New Track

[Image: j7xbe1avxea3i1bmdcff.jpg]

Nicki Minaj just dropped her new track “Chun-Li,” during an interview with Zane Lowe on Beats 1.

Nicki hasn’t recorded much solo music recently, and a lot of her features on other people’s tracks have sounded like she’s been asleep. While “Chun-Li” doesn’t reach the high heights of “Itty Bitty Piggy” or even “Super Bass,” it’s a respectable showing, and I’m into the beat. Given that she apparently finished recording this track yesterday, I’ll give her some props.

The song is named after Chun-Li, a Street Fighter character that, like Minaj, is known for her thick thighs. Chun-Li is not, however, a villain, and in the line where this character is referenced, Minaj seems convinced that she is. “They need rappers like me,” she says during the bridge, “So they can get on their fucking keyboards and make me the bad guy, Chun-Li.” Chun-Li is actually a pretty clean cut cop character, but okay Nicki go off!

This isn’t the first time Nicki has gotten a little nerdy—she’s decked out in Wonder Woman cosplay on the cover of her third mixtape, “Beam Me Up Scotty.” She’s usually a little more accurate than this, though. Onika, if you want to get more familiar with Street Fighter I’m sure there’s a fight night in New York that would love to have you.

https://kotaku.com/nicki-minaj-seems-con...1825213796
learning to wait till the problems show.

if the problems never show, then you're the one.
this is pointless journalism.
i expect this from kotaku though. this is why no one likes them or polygon.
iggy
(04-12-2018, 07:52 PM)PACMAN Wrote: this is pointless journalism.
i expect this from kotaku though. this is why no one likes them or polygon.
iggy

it's actually great for the demographic

(04-12-2018, 08:14 PM)Maiko Wrote: it's actually great for the demographic

the demographic is dragging capcom for not adding falke to the game
iggy

When u try to be edgy like azealia banks but fail
2 people like this: Rebellious Sissy, purple/sky/bubble
Fuck yall.
(04-12-2018, 08:16 PM)PACMAN Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:14 PM)Maiko Wrote: it's actually great for the demographic
the demographic is dragging capcom for not adding falke to the game
iggy

https://twitter.com/DannyHikari/status/9...4375880705

A random tweet. Validation!

But that's the point -- they don't care about Nicki Minaj. They don't even like her, and will likely drag her for trying to use the reference

and be cool but incorrectly.

Which is what the writer is doing but in a nice kotaku appropriate way.
1 person likes this: PACMAN

(04-12-2018, 08:38 PM)Maiko Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:16 PM)PACMAN Wrote: the demographic is dragging capcom for not adding falke to the game
iggy

https://twitter.com/DannyHikari/status/9...4375880705

A random tweet. Validation!

But that's the point -- they don't care about Nicki Minaj. They don't even like her, and will likely drag her for trying to use the reference

and be cool but incorrectly.

Which is what the writer is doing but in a nice kotaku appropriate way.

there's like 50 more like that though
iggy
@Maiko + @
Daemon

https://twitter.com/lamirbrice/status/98...21760?s=20

the line makes a lot sense than the literal interpretation being used in the article.
nicki never has been one for literal interpretation so im inclined to believe the set up is what this tweet states.
thoughts?

iggy
(04-14-2018, 12:52 PM)PACMAN Wrote: @Maiko + @
Daemon

https://twitter.com/lamirbrice/status/98...21760?s=20

the line makes a lot sense than the literal interpretation being used in the article.
nicki never has been one for literal interpretation so im inclined to believe the set up is what this tweet states.
thoughts?

iggy

actually no, there's no way you can deduct that reference with the lyrics from the song.

The only valid interpretation is that, like Chun-Li, she's only female fighter/rapper in the game. (As Chun-Li was in street fighter until they began releasing the new versions and added Cardi Cammy)

Other than that the line was a pretty clear misstep.

(04-14-2018, 01:06 PM)Maiko Wrote: actually no, there's no way you can deduct that reference with the lyrics from the song.

The only valid interpretation is that, like Chun-Li, she's only female fighter/rapper in the game. (As Chun-Li was in street fighter until they began releasing the new versions and added Cardi Cammy)

no, you can. chun-li is considered a hero in the street fighter universe in
and the street fighter alpha OVA.

you wanna pull my street fighter fan card because we can go there.
[Image: giphy.gif]

EDIT: again the line is talking about a good guy being portrayed as bad. any good character could be in that slot. anyone who knows anything about street fighter would agree chun-li is one of the protagonist (along with ryu, ken, sakura, guile, etc.) and a titular female character as the first female in a "male dominated" cast. you're taking this into an interesting area but again, we can go there.
(04-14-2018, 01:11 PM)PACMAN Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 01:06 PM)Maiko Wrote: actually no, there's no way you can deduct that reference with the lyrics from the song.

no, you can. chun-li is considered a hero in the street fighter universe in The legend of chun-li and the street fighter alpha OVA.

you wanna pull my street fighter fan card because we can go there.

EDIT: again the line is talking about a good guy being portrayed as bad. any good character could be in that slot. anyone who knows anything about street fighter would agree chun-li is one of the protagonist and a titular female character as the first female in a "male dominated" cast. you're taking this into an interesting area but again, we can go there.

The song is exactly about what I described and that line is a misstep, she chose chun-li for a reason and not any character can be in that slot.

Further proving my point is the fact that she also calls herself storm of the x-men in the lyrics... storm held the same position as chun-li, being the only female staff in Xavier's school (Jean Gray was a student, at least in the 90s and 00's show)

There is nothing about good guy being portrayed as bad in chun-li's storyline. Chun-Li is literally a police officer.

ya'll just need to admit that this line don't make sense deadbanana3

Listen Street Fighter is my favorite game of all time and literally the only game i know how to play you need to just give me this and go home Doc 2

(04-14-2018, 01:20 PM)Maiko Wrote: The song is exactly about what I described and that line is a misstep, she chose chun-li for a reason and not any character can be in that slot.

Further proving my point is the fact that she also calls herself storm of the x-men in the lyrics... storm held the same position as chun-li, being the only female staff in Xavier's school (Jean Gray was a student, at least in the 90s and 00's show)

There is nothing about good guy being portrayed as bad in chun-li's storyline. Chun-Li is literally a police officer.

ya'll just need to admit that this line don't make sense deadbanana3

which is a stereotypical good job especially in JAPAN where the game was made.
you walked right into it. gag.
iggy