Extremely excited to announce: YC's Birthday! 🎂🎁🎈 🎉Say Happy Birthday

Melanin will be used to make the batteries in the future.

Here now: 1 Guest(s)

Researchers discover melanin could make for great batteries

May 17, 2016 by Emily Durham

[Image: carnegiemell.png]

Quote:Credit: Carnegie Mellon University Mechanical Engineering Melanin is best known as the pigment that dictates our skin tones, but it is found just about everywhere—in our brains, in our hair. It is even found in cuttlefish. But as abundant as melanin is, its exact macromolecular chemical structure is surprisingly not well understood.

Though researchers have extensively studied the chemical structure of individual melanin molecules for more than 70 years, relatively little is known about the molecular building blocks that form complex melanin pigments. But a team of researchers from Carnegie Mellon University has discovered that the chemical structure of melanin on a macromolecular scale exhibits, amongst other shapes, a four-membered ring—in other words, a chemical structure that may be conducive to creating certain kinds of batteries based on natural melanin pigments.
"Functionally, different structures of melanin have quite different chemistries, so putting them together is a little like solving a jigsaw puzzle, with each molecule a puzzle piece," explains Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and co-author of the study Venkat Viswanathan. "You could take any number of these pieces and mix and match them, even stack them on top of each other. So the question we tried to answer was, which of these arrangements is the most stable?
There are several possible configurations for melanin with each having a different function depending on its chemical structure. When these molecules bind to form a macromolecular structure, or a polymer, these polymers can be arranged to create a potential battery material. Based on the readings the researchers gained from their experiment, they discovered that a tetramer structure, a four-membered ring composed of larger molecules, appears to be consistent with the structural model of melanin macromolecules.
"Only the tetramer structure had the correct number of exposed nitrogens to bind with the sodium," says Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and Biomedical Engineering Chris Bettinger, "and the voltage signals we received are consistent with what you would observe if you believe that the tetramer is the correct structural model."
The research team—which included Bettinger, materials science engineering postdoctoral researcher Young Jo Kim, and Jay Whitacre, professor of materials science and engineering and of engineering and public policy—was able to discover the tetramer structure of melanin by using it as a battery's cathode. However, in doing so, they also discovered that melanin exhibits a two-voltage plateau characteristic of normal battery materials, while outputting a surprisingly high voltage.
"The voltage we got out was high—comparable to what you would get for the best sodium-based cathode materials we would use in a battery," says Viswanathan. "So this was surprising to us: that we could take this material from biology, and it could function potentially as a very good cathode material."
Read the full article, "Evidence of porphyrin-like structures in natural melanin pigments using electrochemical fingerprinting," in Advanced Materials. The research team also included visiting Ph.D. student Abhishek Khetan, Ph.D. student of Materials Science & Engineering Wei Wu, and collaborator Sang-Eun Chun of the University of Oregon.
Explore further: Research team uses melanin to make biodegradable battery anode
More information: Young Jo Kim et al. Evidence of Porphyrin-Like Structures in Natural Melanin Pigments Using Electrochemical Fingerprinting, Advanced Materials (2016). DOI: 10.1002/adma.201504650

Black folk better be on watch. A lot of folk are going to come up missing and/or dead. And think about it, death is expensive. What's going to happen to the poor/unclaimed bodies? I'm thinking batteries. Makes you think what all these police killings of black folk really might be about.
Quote:It is even found in cuttlefish. But as abundant as melanin is, its exact macromolecular chemical structure is surprisingly not well understood.

studied the chemical structure of individual melanin molecules for more than 70 years ...
"Functionally, different structures of melanin have quite different chemistries, so putting them together is a little like solving a jigsaw puzzle, with each molecule a puzzle piece,"
"You could take any number of these pieces and mix and match them, even stack them on top of each other...which of these arrangements is the most stable?
melanin exhibits a two-voltage plateau characteristic of normal battery materials, while outputting a surprisingly high voltage.

Y'all better get armed and protect yourselves. Always keep your posse around you when you're out and about. No walking somewhere by yourself. They want yall.

sidebar
[Image: 1zxm59j.jpg]

The Wachowski's called it
A lot of people slept on the Matrix, but I always thought they were trying to tell us something.
2 people like this: YoungCarter, Maiko
[Image: JNLbCz8.gif]
Im gonna read this tonight

[Image: 41wky-7lS%2BL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
Who slept on The Matrix fuckingwithyou
1 person likes this: YoungCarter
learning to wait till the problems show.

if the problems never show, then you're the one.
This long ass post
2 people like this: Dhipita, NubianKing
Making Popfn a Better Place
(10-08-2016, 10:59 AM)Maiko Wrote: Who slept on The Matrix fuckingwithyou

You'd be surprised how much information filmmakers put in their movies and how much of that goes over people's heads.

alot of people still think of it as a weird action movie
(10-08-2016, 11:24 AM)Keith Wrote: This long ass post

[Image: tumblr_n8xz7jo78n1toe7eko1_250.gif]
ayy melanin Ahh
sexy

what part i got bored of it after part 2
(10-08-2016, 12:15 PM)Mint Wrote:

what part i got bored of it after part 2

watch and try to open your mind to the first one, the 2nd and 3rd are still riddled with symbolisms but the first takes the cake tbh
LMAO so they gonna rearing niggas like cattle now?

What Youtube conspiracy shit lol
KICKED THE BITCH OUT THE ROOM AND GAVE HER NO BREAKFAST Camby

#HOH2016
(10-08-2016, 02:42 PM)KingCoonta Wrote: LMAO so they gonna rearing niggas like cattle now?

What Youtube conspiracy shit lol

[Image: tumblr_n0uo4vnjhd1qzjr2jo5_250.gif]

oh well, you can lead a horse to a river but you cant force it to drink lol
Can somebody summarise the OP pls
I am a woman, a mutant, a thief, an X-Man, a lover, a wife, a queen. I am all these things. I am Storm, and for me, there are no such things as limits
They're gonna be making batteries out of black people? Teezy I don't believe it.
I ain't one-sided, I'm open-minded
I'm fifty-fifty and I'm never gonna hide it
(10-08-2016, 10:00 PM)Goosey Wrote: They're gonna be making batteries out of black people? Teezy I don't believe it.

Sgsjjdjdjdj I'm rolling
I am a woman, a mutant, a thief, an X-Man, a lover, a wife, a queen. I am all these things. I am Storm, and for me, there are no such things as limits