PGOATS TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2017 [BITCH YOU KNOW ME] [GOAT] [HYPE TRAIN CONFIRMED] (#YUH)

Here now: 1 Guest(s)

Let's start this thread off w/ honorable mentions in no particular order ...

[Image: 6b1wgXH.jpg]
Number 1 Angel

I anticipated this being one of my faves of the year but it was knocked off the chart by newer albums. In retrospect this album didn't have much staying power and I haven't relistened to it a ton in a while. Still, there are a lot of standouts that I still listen to, particularly Dreamer and Babygirl.

[Image: wyfJqqk.jpg]
Ctrl

Another album that I thought would be a fave but in the end the album fell off for me. The beats were kinda gimmicky and over the past few months wore on me. It's still SZA's strongest project by far, though.

[Image: fOj0CHX.jpg]
Flower Boy

Honestly kind of a let down of an album. None of the songs stood out strongly to me outside of maybe See You Again and November. This album is probably the weakest on my honorable mentions list, but I'm including it because of my huge respect for what Tyler was trying to do with this album. It just didn't come through with the tunes or the lush production you would expect after cuts like 2SEATER on CHERRY BOMB.

I can't find any good pics of the cover of this album.
Back from the Future

Is this an album? Is it an EP? Idk. But as a whole it's a great project that made Kodie Shane less of a Lil Uzi Vert knockoff and more of a unique artist. I listened to this a ton but I can't really put it on my top 10 because no matter how much I listen I know it isn't super unique, I just have low standards.

[Image: 6NvnDDq.png]
Younger Now

This one didn't get a ton of plays from me but I really did like it, especially the really grand cuts (most of the album is stripped back but sometimes it comes through with huge sounds). It isn't as original or convincing sound as Dead Petz was, but it's certainly more mature and a nice blend of her more adventurous side with her original country roots (but it really is more of a pop album than country). Hopefully she will choose to veer back into more experimental territory, albeit with this more mature and infinitely more sober mindset shown on this album.

Top 10 albums soon come ... stay tuned.
1 person likes this: YoungCarter
what if i like her
wait what are you saying
if i do then im not pulling my same old thing
i guess
girls like momo have always been the way i roll, shes hot. you know i think i could even be her boyfriend too if she liked me. im curious to see if that tan skin-
look im the one asking the questions here
Isn't number 1 angel a mixtape?
We all keep dreaming, and luckily, dreams come true.
What's a gimmicky beat? Y'all really make up anything to fit your narrative
Quote:1 Dhipita - The Christmas Collection

Omg thank you so much. Download here
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g67...24e084b693
[Image: hzyfhLF.gif]
(12-06-2017, 06:50 PM)Lex Wrote: What's a gimmicky beat? Y'all really make up anything to fit your narrative

the beats are gimmicky because they all mostly follow this same, like, weirdly electronic sound that is hard to describe. its very synth/electropop on many cuts and the sound is beaten like a dead horse

i gave the album an honorable mention to say its still a great album dumbass im not trying to tear it down
what if i like her
wait what are you saying
i guess
girls like momo have always been the way i roll, shes hot. you know i think i could even be her boyfriend too if she liked me. im curious to see if that tan skin-
(12-06-2017, 11:52 PM)PGOAT Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 06:50 PM)Lex Wrote: What's a gimmicky beat? Y'all really make up anything to fit your narrative

the beats are gimmicky because they all mostly follow this same, like, weirdly electronic sound that is hard to describe. its very synth/electropop on many cuts and the sound is beaten like a dead horse

i gave the album an honorable mention to say its still a great album dumbass im not trying to tear it down

It's called alternative r&b facepalm

Aye dumbasses unite
(12-07-2017, 12:04 AM)Lex Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:52 PM)PGOAT Wrote: the beats are gimmicky because they all mostly follow this same, like, weirdly electronic sound that is hard to describe. its very synth/electropop on many cuts and the sound is beaten like a dead horse

It's called alternative r&b facepalm

Aye dumbasses unite

alternative rnb is a made up genre. people group black artists making anything experimental into alternative rnb to make them have a little segregated genre away from non-black people. thats why you see artists with zero rnb influence (fka twigs, blonde-era frank ocean) being called alternative rnb anyway
what if i like her
wait what are you saying
i guess
(12-07-2017, 09:50 AM)PGOAT Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 12:04 AM)Lex Wrote: It's called alternative r&b facepalm

Aye dumbasses unite

alternative rnb is a made up genre. people group black artists making anything experimental into alternative rnb to make them have a little segregated genre away from non-black people. thats why you see artists with zero rnb influence (fka twigs, blonde-era frank ocean) being called alternative rnb anyway

thanks for telling me what i already know, i was using the term loosely because you seemed to apply that anything experimental is a gimmack when it's not.
Next up is the five WORST albums of 2017! Again in no order.

[Image: yiUcE2o.jpg]
Trip

Overly long, lacking in substance and super cringey. The album has nothing interesting in any of the songs and its topped off with cringe inducing skits that just hurt to listen to. One of the most miserable listening experiences of my life.

I couldn't find a good res of this cover.
[Image: bODiYqp.jpg]
Syre

I hate criticizing this album because it always makes people think I'm making up words/excuses to hate it. My biggest gripes with this album have nothing to do with Jaden's rapping or the quality of the production but rather the songwriting and structure. Songs feel schizophrenic and unable to maintain a consistent melody or idea for any stretch of time. Another absolutely excruciating listening experience.

[Image: Vt6fedm.jpg]
Deadstar

This album is full of songs that sound exactly the same, aren't long enough to care, and in general bite off of every other existing trap rapper right now. Playboi Carti without the cloudiness, pretty much.

[Image: 8qypByU.jpg]
Fifth Harmony

Without their strongest vocalist FH basically came through with a short, barely finished and entirely boring self titled album. Self titled why? Who knows. Their music has been on an incredible decline with each album and it's really looking like Camila leaving will be the death of them. Trash!
TRASH!

[Image: GDjewsz.jpg]
Lust for Life

Instead of abandoning the awful and unlistenable sounds of Honeymoon, Lana has hunched over and awkwardly lurched deeper into bullshit that pretty much completely goes against what her appeal has always been. The majority of this album returns to the poppy sound of Born to Die (which I didn't care for) except with none of the vintage appeal and everything shitty about Lana up to 11. Shitty vocals, shitty features (Carti feature GOAT tho) and maybe 2 good songs.

LISTS CONTINUE SOON ...
what if i like her
wait what are you saying
i guess
Thank you for putting lust for lice on that list!
But I do NOT appreciate the Honeymoon slander
And the Cardi feature is bad
(12-07-2017, 10:07 PM)Lex Wrote: And the Cardi feature is bad

aye yuh ooh aye yuh woo yuh aye
what if i like her
wait what are you saying
i guess
Next up we're gonna breeze through the bottom 6 albums of the year and afterward we'll go in depth on the top 5.

[Image: OjdipOK.jpg]
10. Drunk

Still a great album. Serious throwback vibes all over this thing and even my dad loves it. Pretty GOAT. Strongest aspects are the sense of humor, solid grooves and great bass playing from Thundercat himself.

Favorite Tracks: Captain Stupido, Uh Uh, A Fan's Mail, Jethro, Show You the Way, Walk on By, Jameel's Space Ride, Friend Zone, Drink Dat, Inferno, Drunk, The Turn Dow, DUI
Least Favorite Track: 3AM

[Image: QB65bz9.jpg]
9. Dua Lipa

This album honestly didn't live up to the hype I gave it (albums never do) but it still managed to be a really great project with seriously good tunes. The singles ended up standing out as the best songs but a few deeper cuts impressed me too.

Favorite Tracks: Genesis, Lost in Your Light, Hotter Than Hell, IDGAF, Blow Your Mind (Mwah), Thinking 'Bout You, Homesick
Least Favorite Track: New Rules

[Image: S6602vJ.jpg]
8. Utopia

The singles of this album lead me to believe it would be Vulnicura 2.0 (which was already Vespertine 2.0, meaning Utopia would be Vespertine 3.0) but it actually turned out to set itself apart with its heavy use of lush acoustics. Lots of pan flutes and harps, in general very nature-themed and focused on being a grand, otherworldly experience.

Favorite Tracks: Blissing Me, Utopia, Body Memory, Sue Me, Saint, Future Forever
Least Favorite Track: Paradisia

[Image: ixOIZWf.jpg]
7. Drum Chord Theory

This album, the debut and apparently sole studio album by Matt Martians, is a cool throwback to old Odd Future sounds. It's trippy, really weird and in general a psychedelic experience. The album is at its best when it falls back into its characteristic lazy, relaxed sound.

Favorite Tracks: If You Were My GF, What Love Is, Baby Girl, Southern Isolation, Found Me Some Acid Tonight, Alotta Women, Useless, Dent Jusay, Callin' on Me, Diamond in da Ruff
Least Favorite Track: Elevators

Couldn't find a good pic of this album cover.
6. Harry Styles

All of the members of One Direction are coming out with good albums (at least all of the CURRENT members [fuck boy starts with a Z and rhymes with pain]) and Harry managed to come out with the most musically substantive project. Meaning, obviously his lyrics aren't going to be powerful, but the actual production is artistic and incredibly well done. There's a big appreciation for his older influences in this album and he does them justice. Just a really surprisingly good album.

Favorite Tracks: Meet Me in the Hallway, Sign of the Times, Two Ghosts, Sweet Creature, Kiwi, From the Dining Room Table
Least Favorite Track: Woman

[Image: UeoC8ZL.jpg]
5. Soft Sounds from Another Planet

Although, like Psychopomp, this album is primarily dolled up versions of old Japanese Breakfast demos, on this album they flow into each other a lot more naturally than on Psychopomp and all feel like they fit together. Most of the demos have been improved and expanded upon, and as a whole this is a far more impressive album than Psychopomp.

Favorite Tracks: Diving Woman, Road Head, Soft Sounds from Another Planet, Jimmy Fallon Big!, Till Death, This House
Least Favorite Track: Machinist

GET READY FOR THE TOP 4 COUNTDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!
what if i like her
wait what are you saying
i guess
[Image: ryaoENO.jpg]
4. DAMN.

In my opinion this is the strongest thing Kendrick's released since GKMC. It's both Kendrick's darkest and most personal album thus far.

The album sets itself apart from Kendrick's other works by no longer presenting a narrative; this time, we're presented with more of a stream of consciousness approach to the storytelling and lyricism. Songs jump from topic to topic and try to vaguely embody their titles, big words in all caps like PRIDE. This style definitely makes it his most disjointed and directionless album, but its refusal to tie anything together serves to represent the fact that Kendrick himself hasn't resolved all of the struggles he details in the album, and making the album won't fix any of them.

His previous album, To Pimp a Butterfly, sets a lot of context behind this album. It's clear that Kendrick knew that TPAB would be his magnum opus, so with his next album he took the opportunity to try a more straightforward sound, with far more pop sensibility than his previous works. This is in DAMN.'s favor, although Kendrick is usually able to deliver several enjoyable, poppy songs with every album, they can sometimes suffer from the baggage of the narrative and skits placed in them. DAMN. leans more toward delivering a completely enjoyable album from front to back, enjoyable in its sound and style more than its concepts and stories.

This album grew on me immensely. I had trouble believing Kendrick could so effortlessly transition from the crowded and free production of TPAB to far more standard beats. Whenever I listened enough I came to believe that the transition only shows how amazingly Kendrick can adapt to different styles and sounds.

My final word on this album is that I think people should appreciate its darkness a little bit more. Kendrick's attitudes and moods on this album are negative and troubled, and there's no end to his struggles in sight. This tortured atmosphere gives more depth to it as a whole.

Favorite Tracks: YAH., FEEL., LOYALTY., XXX., FEAR., DUCKWORTH.
Least Favorite Track: GOD.

what could number 3 be .......? all will be revealed very soon
what if i like her
wait what are you saying
i guess